CPNG 11/19 32.50c earnings play? Earnings expected 11/10

thanks so much! i guess that’ a good sign? i’m running just some basic notes on earnings so far:

Q3 2021
EARNINGS DATE EPS REVENUE SHARE PRICE %
EXPECTED REPORTED SURPRISE EXPECTED REPORTED SURPRISE AS OF 11/04
AMZN 10/28 8.9 6.12 -31.21% 111.60B 110.81B -0.70% 0.8%
SHOP 10/28 1.22 0.81 -33.37% 1.15B 1.12B -1.95% 5.70%
MELI 11/04 1.31 1.92 46.35% 1.89B 1.86B -1.47% 4.08% *midday $1,620
BABA

looks like even with some misses the prices recover. AMZN guidance wasn’t even that strong. hopefully i get the opportunity to take some profits and ride through a smaller position through earnings. but what’s gonna be interesting is that they announce AH like MELI did yesterday. say a bit of a jump AH and then retail sort of pour in right at open. SHOP has just continued to climb before taking it on the chin in AH. AMZN just continues to crawl up.

1 Like

I’ll chance it on earnings I reckon

Just wanted to update that CPNG’s biggest investor, SoftBank, announced it would be doing a share buyback. Usually SoftBank finances the share buyback by divesting their positions so the most likely candidates are BABA, DASH and CPNG.

They’ve announced the buyback to be gradual but how that plays into them unloading their giant positions is a bit unclear. NoSauceNoGain was kind enough to add that this would just be a way to finance their debt which makes sense given the margin loans they took out while using DASH and CPNG as collateral.

What does all this mean? Definitely looks like it could hurt CPNG and DASH share prices if SoftBank decided to unload their whale positions. But the timeline doesn’t really give any guidance to this week

Hey Sam, just wondering if today we close down below $30 does this seem like the handle forming in a cup and handle pattern? If we start to see breaks above $31 until ER would you take that as a bullish sign? Thanks to anyone who can provide some insight

I don’t see the handle.

I wouldn’t play the earnings. I have LEAP. CPNG will be expending to Singapore, Japan and Malaysia. it will be interesting to hear if they will mention it during the earnings call and if they are on schedule and when they will start the expansion. Their numbers should be good.

1 Like

Thanks, Sam! I guess I wanted it to be true so badly lol.

I’m gonna try and trim my position either today or tomorrow cos my 11/19 32.50c are up over 54%. Healthy profits. Weird thing is that the share price has gone down the past 2 days but my options have gone up like 20 cents. Maybe sell like half?

I’m noticing a lot of these earnings plays start to recover after the news like AMZN, SHOP. Might try and make this an earnings+ play and see how it goes until early next week. Definitely not looking to bag hold until expiry.

Appreciate the feedback!

Of course. If tou see profit and if you are happy with it, you should take it. Earnings play is very risky and it can go wrong way even if the numbers look good. Happy trading my friend.

1 Like

Last follow up before I just wait it out for earnings. CPNG decided after AH trading was almost done to announce they delayed earnings to 11/12 around 6am EST. The reasoning was a bit odd, to recognize the US Federal Holiday. While I’m all for paying our respects to those who serve this doesn’t smell right to me. Like are all their personnel in accounting and IR from the VA? Kudos for looking out for vets…

Either way, I’ve been steadily reducing my positions and probably roll with less than 30 calls at EOD tomorrow depending on price action.

Watching ER season makes me realize that it really is a gamble even with the tidbits of positive information we can glean from google. Without a stout ER, sentiment can be a crapshoot as the gods and others have advised. Was really bullish but this delay has got me confused

At first it does seems a little sketchy cause this is something they should have known about before announcing earnings. But on the other hand Koreans have tremendous respect for America and its military. This stems from the aid they received during the Korean war and afterwards.

Bullish stance:
For people looking into the long term, ive seen an uptick in usage in my area again. This might be due to the fact that its hella cold right now. Their coupang play (streaming) service just announced for next month a live concert event featuring coldplay, which includes fan engagement (think Q&A or twitch like thing). They also seems to be ramping up their eCommerce and food delivery. Adding more distribution centers and providing a lot of sales opportunity. Ive seen several articles that predict that they will beat earnings by a lot. But have no idea the track record of these korean analyst so take that with a grain of salt.

Bearish stance for the future:
This might be a little late but just read a bunch of this on korean news site. Shinsegae (another korean conglomerate) are finishing their acquisition of Ebay Korea. This acquisitions includes Gmarket and Auction. Gmarket and Auction are eCommerce sites that have been popular for a long time. Excluding naver and coupang, they hold the the largest market share out of any other company. What makes this bearish for coupang is that Shinsegae is acquiring them. They are the largest and most used retail market in Korea and with various eCommerce sites already under them. They operate Shinsegae duty free, Shinsegae department stores, Emart, Nobrand, and etc. What could be good for coupang is that Shinsegae diversified way to much. For example their duty free site is not one but several, same goes for their other divisions. Emart is there grocery chain which will be the biggest competition in grocery delivery in my opinion. Gmarket partnered with the competition for grocery delivery services such as Lotte and Homeplus. Now that they are being acquired Emart and Nobrand will probably monopolize that area. To be a fair player they might allow Lotte and Homeplus to continue delivery services on Gmarket, but they are able to push their brand to a greater extent.

There seems to be some negative news about workplace bullying. I believe there have been many rumors and blog post about the work environment this year. You can think of this as bearish news but in the grand scheme of things Korean work culture is just terrible. The only thing differentiating this to every other thing is the labor ministries involvement. But general consensus is that the government doest do shit unless it has to do it. Coupang can be used to set an example but who knows if that will happen. More likely then not this will not affect anything and be swept under the rug.
https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20211109008000315

2 Likes

Thanks again for the detailed update. Seems like the market is a bit spooked by the earnings delay as we’ve seen a dip to $29.18. Tried to trim my position but almost at break even anyway.

Interestingly the options chain ATM or just OTM for calls has increased since yesterday while the puts at 25 and 27 OI has reduced. The 30p have increased.

Great to hear that Korean analyst believe the earnings are going to impress. I’ve only seen 1 change in estimate, think it was Zach’s where they changed EPS from -$0.14 to -$0.12.

Just wanna say again how much I appreciate all the detailed info. Hope the earnings blow us away tmr am!

2 Likes

Just wanted to respond to you here, wpdlatm, cos your input has been invaluable while saving/making me money too. so QE earnings were released and i also listened in on the conference call with Bom. Needless to say it was a disappointment on the top and bottom line.

Revenue is the big one as most expected around 4.6-4.8B and came in around 4.64B. On the conference call, Bom said he sacrificed maximizing growth this quarter as demand outstripped capacity, and had to limit some orders. He hinted that some of it had to do with the fire. Basically saying that customer experience (order fulfillment) was prioritized over maximizng revenue. Don’t know if I buy this argument and if it’s just a way to cover up that they had problems with capacity at fulfillment centers but this definitely supports your argument that you saw less Coupang deliveries/trucks in the 3rd quarter.

EPS will probably be lower than most estimates of -$0.14 although they haven’t come out yet.

Guidance was asked for by analysts on the conference call but beat around the bush with vague statements from Bom. He seememphasized texts the many businesses they’re cultivating as kids at different ages. Some are just toddlers and some are teens that need to contribute as adults. So for him, it’s an aggregation of all these businesses. WTF that means, I’m not sure.

Growth is bullish. 2 huge factors that I gleamed was that the Coupang EATS app was the #1 download for ios users and #2 download for android (next to covid tracing app). Also, advertising revenue tripled quarter over quarter. It was the fastest driver of revenue. Market penetration with a fast and reliable source of revenue at a low cost basis is extremely bullish. I think the uptick you’ve seen in Coupang exposure is a result of this. The Singles Day event (which brought in record numbers for BABA and JD.com) will probably due to the same for Coupang. More people staying in, holidays, are likely to see healthy Q4.

Bom dismisses competition saying they’re not even on the radar and not even close in capacity. A little arrogant and concerning given how competitive the landscape is but WTF do I know. I would rather defere to your alert on Shinsegae and to dismiss them could be a fatal mistake by Bom.

They’re expanding at the sake of profitability which holds poorly for market sentiment and there are a lot of bagholders that bought on the hype and have held since IPO. Imagine seeing a drop in your investments during 2021 like Cathy Wood? Definitely a possible long-term play of LEAP. They said some things should loosen up at end of 2022. The big thing I like is that they still have $4B in cash and they’re just not throwing money at problems in hopes of solving it. Bom reiterated over and over again they’ll make small investments first in new intiatives and then invest heavily once they gain confidence. So he’s not stupid with money.

Overall, I’m hoping to sell most/all of my position in the AM for an overall small profit which I can’t be dissatisfied with given that the stock has hovered in a $2 range for 3 weeks. Thanks again for your help!

Earnings don’t look that bad, but the stock is tanking. Revenue growth 48% YoY. Customer growth 20% YoY 16,823 (2021) vs 13,987 (2020). Gross profit growth of 62% YoY. Advertising revenue tripled YoY.

95 million losses due to investing in labor and operations. The increased losses they blame on covid and its restrictions. It somewhat contributed to it but also, they didn’t do enough at the time. Typically, Koreans hire Koreans, no foreigners unless some other reason. In seoul and the greater area, there is an abundance of legal and able to work foreigners. There were many instances of drivers from other companies paying foreigners to do their work for them at a fraction of the cost. Q3 is summer and the weather here is constantly like a sauna. Our summers is considered the rainy season, imagine delivering all day in the heat and rain. Of course, Koreans wouldn’t want to work when they can stay home and get stimulus or just outsource it for cheap while still getting paid at home. There has been an uptick in hiring of foreign drivers lately for both eats and rocket delivery according to various SEA facebook users. Another thing is the lessened supply of workers I suspect is due to less demand to work for CPNG. There has been a lot of negative news this year related to the company. A worker died from overworking right before the stocks listing, the labor ministry is looking to investigate them over worker dispute, etc. Coupang launched coupang care that gives drivers 4 weeks paid leave and other programs for personal health. So, they are attempting to fix the bad events in some way. Honestly management including Bom seems to make think they aren’t that good.

I will try explaining some of their services for people thinking of investing into the company and give some of my opinions.

Coupang Rocket delivery:
This is their original service and what helped them become popular. Rocket delivery is just super speedy delivery, like Amazon prime. They have different levels to it which in include WOW, direct, fresh, and +2. There was another tier, but I can’t seem to remember the name or find it in the app. Wow is the regular version, next day 12-7am delivery. Direct is the international program, receiving goods directly from America (might have other countries, unsure) at an affordable price and duties included. Fresh is the same as WOW but focused primarily on groceries. Though I found that they do include other items occasionally like games, household products, etc. +2 is just standard delivery that is mostly provided by outside delivery services. It can take two days or longer to deliver hence the name. But in Korea usually is a lot faster then +2 days. You need to be subscribed to wow membership. One thing I want to point out is that it’s great for reserving orders. Certain things sell out fast here such as games, electronics (GPU, pc, etc.), fruits, and expensive shit. You can reserve it on the app and when they launch it will be delivered by dawn.

Coupang Wow membership:
Wow membership is just Amazon prime but with less things included with it. Membership fee is 2900 won or about 2.50$ a month which is hella affordable. The long term idk if it can help it become profitable or not. Other competitors that provided similar ecommerce membership are priced similarly. You get free delivery, and 30 day returns with all coupang delivery options besides sellers that opt out of selling through their fulfillment. Coupang play is included (streaming service). 5% cash back when using coupang money (just their own app wallet). Access to gold box, daily sales items that can be discounted up to 75%.

Coupang Fresh:
Coupang fresh is their grocery delivery service that delivers same day or early morning (12-7am). A lot of this works together with the Rocket delivery service. They are the best at delivery and packaging compared to competitors which is important for perishables. They increased fulfillment center infrastructure by a lot stating there is increased demand. Which is good long term, but losses will be seen for a while on their financial statement. Just saw an article that one the newer competitors wants to IPO soon, Market Kurly. They were popular in the beginning of the year, but they seemed to have disappeared lately. Might not be much of a worry. So only concern on this front will be Ebay Korea/ Shinsegae at the current time. They launched a program to provide 480 million $ to small businesses and farmers. This will probably help bring in more quality and diversity in produce selection. Overall quality wise I’ve been more impressed with coupang fresh compared to majority of competitors. Don’t be misled when they say the fresh fulfillment center footprint is double that of competitors. The keywords are they “believe” and “online competitor”. There is probably only couple fully online grocery delivery competitors and they are relatively young and small compared to coupang.

Coupang Eats:
This is their food delivery service. Supposedly it has been the most downloaded app on both iOS and android. Android downloads overall, Coupang eats – 5M+, yogiyo – 10M+, delivery hero – 10M+. They are catching up in downloads to the long-time duopoly of delivery hero and yogiyo. In all Korean app stores they are in the top 5 charts. Also, they state that it’s been growing extremely fast. They have been doing a lot of promotion from what I can see. These aren’t your 2$ type ones, more on the lines of save 8-15$ on your order of at least 15-20$. I recently tried to use the competitions app after not using it for a long time and its clustered and not that great to use. They have Eats Originals, its Coupang Eats exclusive partners. This year they have been adding a lot of them compared to the competition. There’s a lot of more positives for this service from what I can tell at this point. I asked several friends and family their choices and it’s seem younger people are using coupang eats more and older will stick with what they usually used.

Coupang ads:
According to their site for every 2 people 1 person uses coupang. Ads are done well on the app. I never noticed it that much, they are intergraded in a way that just flows with everything, and everything is related to the page you are on or what you search. You also have coupang recommended which I noticed a lot of people tend to choose over other options when picking a product. This is probably what contributes to triple YoY in q3.
Coupang Play:
This is their streaming service which is included with wow membership. This seems to be a pit of money loss in my opinion. They have been acquiring a lot of Korean and foreign media content. They just released their exclusive drama One Ordinary Day, haven’t heard any talks about it yet but Suzy is Bae. They have some other original content but it’s more like Netflix originals in the sense they just get exclusive streaming rights. They been advertising their live sports broadcasting and Live concert with Coldplay coming up.

Coupang Flex:
This is Amazon flex pretty much or like GRABS package delivery service. So, you can work part time and deliver packages. I’ve seen a lot of people doing this lately from students to older folks. They said that flex is growing a lot so this might help elevate the worker shortage.

Active customer yoy growing by 20%. But 5% sacrificed to meet up with customer expectations. Demand high but they arent able to fulfill every order, they pick and choose customers. Pretty much just prioritizing long term vs short term customers. Will they be able to bring back those customers they neglected? It doesn’t seem that they are considering this at the present. Competitors not affecting them supposedly is bullshit. If they remain competitive, I’m sure things will work out. Record capacity in logistics. Fulfillment and logistics will be majority of their focus in long term growth.

Overseas expansion plan wasn’t very clear and the thing I was originally bullish on. They just keep repeating the same thing that they are positive on it. Since the other guy created his CPNG post I’ve become more bearish overall. For Japan and Taiwan all they seem to be doing is small time delivery like food and necessities. I guess we must wait and see or get more first-hand experience from the area. If anyone lives there or has experience, please chime in!

I asked several friends from Vietnam, Thailand, and Malaysia about their market. I think GRAB and homegrown operations could take away expansion plans in SEA. Vietnam is majority GRAB, and they are looking to expand more into Vietnam also. Then theres Vietnams Tiki which is growing more daily and looking to IPO. If they are just going to do what they are doing in Japan and Taiwan, then it’s not going to work out. In Thailand majority is grab and its looking like there will be no room for coupang to move. Malaysia is the only one that seems to be a low barrier of entry. Though GRAB is very aggressive in their future expansions into the rest of SEA and into other sectors.

I think I was originally bullish on the company based on feels lol. I’ve been using them for the past couple years and been extremely satisfied with all parts of the service. So, their focus on servicing long term customers first is probably working well for me and customer retention. But recently I have become more bearish on the company due to Ebay Korea acquisition and the DD in the other CPNG forum. Also, slow expansion into other countries is not looking good in my opinion.

1 Like