Dividend Capture with ZIM?

One (pretty big) oversight that I just realized: ZIM dividends are taxed by Israel (at a rate of 25%) before they’re distributed to investors. The U.S. and Israel have a tax treaty which covers this—you can see the detail in Article 12 here.

So, the immediate 25% tax isn’t awesome—it reduces the $17 payout to $12.75, and possible ROI from 34% to 25.5%—but those are still incredible numbers at least.

With a regular (i.e. taxable) account, you’ll be able to claim a foreign tax credit for that 25% when it comes time to pay U.S. taxes next year. But if you’re receiving the dividends in a tax-advantaged account (IRA, 401k, etc), you don’t have a way to claw any of that 25% back.

Anyhow, it’s a bit of a bummer and the tax situation might be more than some folks want to deal with—but if all of the mechanics of the trade actually check out and there aren’t any big downsides that we haven’t already thought of, it still seems like easy money.

2 Likes

Just did a buy/write with 3/28 65c. Interested to see how it works out.

1 Like

Entered this morning, let’s see how this goes.

2 Likes

I’m still not in yet. Probably going to wait till thurs and go with the April calls. Let me me know how it’s going

I’m in, just scalping shares though. Using this chart to learn more about TA, going to sit out of options due to my risk tolerance . Good luck everyone!

Watching the chart, ZIM seems to have a decent dip within 15 mins of market open that gets eaten up.

1 Like

Worth buying the dip?

Well my stop lost hit and I’m out . my entry’s and averaging down saved me I was setting to take my cost basis out when it spiked to 84 then the drop began . As I kept adjusting it kept dropping.

1 Like

just entered before market close. 100 shares at 84.5 and sold 1 3/25 45c for the corresponding amount. just double-checking, people are seeing the ex-dividend date as 3/23 right? so as long as i don’t get assigned before then, i should collect the dividend then

This is the only thing that is preventing me from making this trade of buying stocks and selling calls - still not clear on what the chances of assignment are.

If the seller is a sophisticated actor and they are reasonably confident that prices will fall after ex-dividend date, then it should be pretty high. So it hinges on whether they think price will fall after dividend date.

Either way wouldn’t the worse case outcome just be net even?

If I understood the trade correctly, then if the forced assignment happened early, this proposed exit:

Would become this:

Buy 1x 3/25 50c: -$2,900
Sell 100 shares: +$6,214

Netting $3,314 and not $5,014 as intended. The difference is -$1,700, which also happens to be the amount of dividend in play.

In other words, early assignment prior to ex-dividend date would result in netting out the dividend payment completely.

If you were assigned before ex dividend date wouldn’t you be forced to sell shares for $5K, and then the contract goes away and you therefore keep the entirety of the premium right? And in this case, premium should be equal to the difference between your share purchase price and the strike

Yes, that’s how I’m seeing it. Early assignment just results in a wash—net $0. If you’re forced to sell the shares, it would be at the strike price of the call ($5,000), and you keep the entire premium.

So, using the same opening as before:

Buy 100x shares: -$7,900
Sell 1x 3/25 50c: +$2,900

Early assignment looks like this (keep in mind, assignment means you’re selling at $50/share regardless of the current price):

Sell 100x shares: +$5,000
(Contract goes *poof*): -$0

There is no contract to buy if it’s exercised early, and your total net is $0.

2 Likes

Idk how the timing of exercising works, like if you find out instantaneously on 2:23 when the other dude exercises, or if you find out EOD. But assuming you get enough advance time, you could just open up another position if early assignment happens lol

Still waiting to get in. Anyone been assigned yet? I’m starting to wish I just bought calls and shares when the it was 79! Lol

Not yet. If you were though, you could always just buy-in again.

Not yet either.

I’m in. Good puck all

Welp—I guess we’ll see if this works

3 Likes