Dividend Capture with ZIM?

Good puck to you too, sir! :ice_hockey:

That’s why you don’t text and drive. I’d imagine if we get assigned it would be Monday so the buyer gets the dividend right?

So you got assigned?

No, I didn’t get assigned… just opened the position today

I got assigned on a 45c. No impact as expected. I will try and open this trade again on Monday

Interesting. Which expiry date did you go with?

I got the ones for next week, 3/25

The T+2 stock settlement rule means that Friday 03/18 is the last day to get the buy order filled to qualify for ex-div, right?

I’m not certain but I think you can buy Monday and get the dividend.

I’m actually not sure… ex-div is Tuesday, so buying/exercising on Monday might work? I’ve personally never done it that close to the date.

Now that I think about it, I have bought day before ex dividend and got the dividend

Monday would work. The ex-div is the date upon which new holders do not get the dividend. Before that and you’re good.

Would selling the shares on the ex-div date still qualify for the dividend?

Yes, you get the dividend if you sell on ex day

1 Like

Anyone thinking of taking puts today? ZIM was incredibly strong last week, but I would expect at least some pullback this week.

The prices are nuts.

Woof, guess I should’ve looked at that first.

Yeah–aside from this attempt at a dividend capture, I’m not touching ZIM until after the ex-div dust settles.

Another possible play related to ZIM (and in particular–its dividend) is DAC. They own a sizable amount of ZIM, and there’s speculation that they’ll either sell part of their position and/or use the dividend payout to initiate a buyback of their own shares. I opened a May 110/125 call spread on it this morning.

1 Like

So is the thought process to sell ZIM shares at open tomorrow morning?

Well… if you don’t get assigned, you’d just close out your position any time between tomorrow and the expiry you went with. It should be roughly a net $0 transaction.

1 Like