Dividend Capture with ZIM?

Trying to look more into it but I was playing April 14 90 C and even with this massive price drop overnight, my contracts have tripled in value. They were almost double at open too. Thoughts?

Wow—that’s pretty wild. On 4/14 everything at the $86 strike and above is way up, and everything at the $85 strike and below are way down. Similar story for other expiry dates at different strike breakpoints.

1 Like

investors page for ZIM says dividend will be paid out to shareholders as of March 23, 2022. i’m not 100% sure how the settlement timeline and stuff gets factored in, but since at minimum this is a net-neutral trade, it can’t hurt to try and re-open another position today

The record date is today, but yesterday was ex-div. That’s why the drop happened today. Opening a position today won’t get you this current dividend.

The record date is the 23rd, not today. So anyone on the books the morning of the 23rd gets the dividend. So with a 2 day settlement time, yesterday ( I think even after hours) was the last day to buy stocks. With options, and typical 1 day settlement, I’m not sure if you could actually exercise today… Or if the 1 day settlement is just for buy/sell of the options, not exercising.

was there ever a consensus on if we expect to get our divvy checks? i think a lot of us got notifications of exercise in AH between 3/21 and 3/22

I don’t think there’s consensus. My assumption is that those who were assigned after close on 3/21 will not be paid dividends, but I don’t think everyone agrees.

I would assume it is based on the exdiv date - assuming you got assigned before that Tuesday I wouldn’t think you would get one. If it was on that Tuesday, I would also assume you are still not entitled to the dividend, vs the new owner of the shares since the assignment can take place at any time during the day - but the sorting happens after close to account for all assignments. - Just my opinion.

I found this article if it helpful.

ZIM Integrated Shipping’s Ex-Dividend Date Is Tuesday, Here’s What You Need To Know | Benzinga

Snippet -

What’s Happening

The company announced on Wednesday that it would pay shareholders a quarterly dividend of $17.0 per share. On Tuesday, ZIM Integrated Shipping will go ex-dividend, meaning the stock will trade lower to reflect that payout. In other words, the stock will likely open $17.0 lower than it would have opened on any other day.

In order to be eligible to receive a company’s dividend, shareholders must own the stock prior to the ex-dividend date—in this case, Tuesday. Shareholders who own ZIM as of the end of Monday’s session are eligible to receive the $17.0 dividend payout for every share that they own.

I’m 99.9% positive if we did not own shares at close on ex dividend date, we r not getting a dividend. I use to try to capture run up to ex dividend date by buying a few weeks before ex date and sell whenever I made the same amount as the dividend, which usually happened ex dividend day. I never got a dividend when I sold on ex dividend date

1 Like

Just parking this meeting vote herE