Gld and hedging journal

Week 3 updates and thoughts
I’ll start keeping a blog as I continue with my gold play posting thoughts, position changes, and prixe movements mostly for myself but in case anyone else is interested or following the play. I am expecting to continue trading this through fomc at least.

Sunday evening.
Gold opened up and ran Sunday evening following oil up and inverting s&p going down, the news stating inflation fears as the cause and I agree oil, wheat and corn all ran at open.

Took 500 dollar profits by rolling to a further strike again and bought another t bond put. After adding 500 in gold profits I also added another 200 loss in t bond puts that being the trade off in a hedge it decreases your downside but also decreases your upside as well. I am strategically buying gold fd calls but buying t bond puts with 45 days until expiration as I am still confident t bonds will come down after fomc, not sweating the red especially since my green fat out weighs it and am holding a confident thesis.

My 3 gld calls where bought about 2.40 lower then the current price so if we see a similar opening price I will be up quite nicely on those but still a long way until open and as I write this gold appears to be coming down.

Update 1 gold appears to be ranging between 1990 area and 1997 area and bonds appear to be in a down trend if gold breaks below 1990 area I will sell my t bond put I bought earlier and buy a strike closer to expiration, to keep up with the gold call loss better, I am expecting a down trend is due at some point soon.

Update 2. Took 62 dollar profit on 5 day t bond puts and bought one expiring in 11 days likely content with my position for now gold seems to be coming back up and I still have my calls at open.

Update 3. Watched a negative 35% trade go green me in the past would’ve panick sold at 20% loss then fomoed back in at the top glad but instead of loosing hundreds of dollars I even made 67$ on t bond puts feels good to finally be improving.

Update 4 decided to take another 46$ profit on bonds as they look like they are going to track gold again here going to look for a higher entry.

Update 5 decided to take 140$ profit on gcj calls I’ll renter if it dips here if not I’ll just let my calls collect profit until open.[quote=“KneifKneif, post:1, topic:13257, full:true”]
Week 3 updates and thoughts
I’ll start keeping a blog as I continue with my gold play posting thoughts, position changes, and prixe movements mostly for myself but in case anyone else is interested or following the play. I am expecting to continue trading this through fomc at least.

Sunday evening.
Gold opened up and ran Sunday evening following oil up and inverting s&p going down, the news stating inflation fears as the cause and I agree oil, wheat and corn all ran at open.

Took 500 dollar profits by rolling to a further strike again and bought another t bond put. After adding 500 in gold profits I also added another 200 loss in t bond puts that being the trade off in a hedge it decreases your downside but also decreases your upside as well. I am strategically buying gold fd calls but buying t bond puts with 45 days until expiration as I am still confident t bonds will come down after fomc, not sweating the red especially since my green fat out weighs it and am holding a confident thesis.

My 3 gld calls where bought about 2.40 lower then the current price so if we see a similar opening price I will be up quite nicely on those but still a long way until open and as I write this gold appears to be coming down.

Update 1 gold appears to be ranging between 1990 area and 1997 area and bonds appear to be in a down trend if gold breaks below 1990 area I will sell my t bond put I bought earlier and buy a strike closer to expiration, to keep up with the gold call loss better, I am expecting a down trend is due at some point soon.

Update 2. Took 62 dollar profit on 5 day t bond puts and bought one expiring in 11 days likely content with my position for now gold seems to be coming back up and I still have my calls at open.

Update 3. Watched a negative 35% trade go green me in the past would’ve panick sold at 20% loss then fomoed back in at the top glad but instead of loosing hundreds of dollars I even made 67$ on t bond puts feels good to finally be improving.

Update 4 decided to take another 46$ profit on bonds as they look like they are going to track gold again here going to look for a higher entry.

Update 5 decided to take 140$ profit on gcj calls I’ll renter if it dips here if not I’ll just let my calls collect profit until open.

Monday market close updates
Started this morning with a small loss basically what happened was I “bought the dip” then average downed on “the dip” and I kept dipping and panic soled one of my calls near the bottom but luckily the t bond put I had to hedge saved some of the loss. Unfortunately the call i panic sold ended up back near break even eod so definitely a lesson to learn there.

The day started with a dip so I decided to go to bed as I wasn’t looking to average down because I don’t want to throw to much money into this still keeping responsible position sizes even though I’m up a lot.

Zooming out we saw Green Day for gold red day for both t bonds and junk bonds could this be a confirmation to my theory? We’ll see how it trends as well as cpi on Thursday should give us a clue.

Lots of position changes for today
First thing is my April gld calls were up 100% an hour before close making this my 3rd 100% return on gld so I decided to take some profit by selling and buying a strike closer to expiration march 31sts I used the profits to secure some money in index funds.

Also added 7 April 14th 120 puts for lqd here as well.

Also the red t bond puts I was holding down 20 and 30% are now green which was a pleasant surprise.

My current positions are

Lqd 7 120 puts April 14th
Znm2 puts expiring On April 14th a 125 and 126 put
Znm2 put expiring in 11 days 127.25 strike
3 march 31st gld calls
1 gcj2 gold fd 2070 strike.

2 Likes

Woke up to another 80% gain completely exited my gold position for now because the profits are way to juicy not to take :pepepray: for another dip so I can buy back in but if it doesn’t come I’ll be ok.

3 Likes

Monday night and Tuesday updates.

Monday night I saw around a 20% profit and decided to take it thinking it would bounce off 2005 area looking back now boy was I wrong. After I sold for around 20% gains it immediately ripped up to around 40% gains a missed 200 dollars by 10 minutes. Hate to admit it but I then got a bit upset by the missed gains and fomoed a call after a red candle, that call got iv crushed when I checked back 20 minutes later the price was the same but my call was down 100$. After waiting for some more consolation and looking at the chart I decided to buy a call for around the same price expiring in 10 days instead of 3.

Also Monday night I noticed my t bond puts were up around 20-30% and decided to take profits on the weekly and roll the april expiration down .5 dollars each.

Tuesday morning I took the profits I showed above and watched the market to see if a dip would come or not. Fortunately or maybe unfortunately we’ll see a dip did come after the Ukraine giving up on nato came out. I decided that this news wasn’t going to have the impact the market was giving it credit for so I decided to buy the dip. A good decision as my calls went up 16% before close and my future sits at 21.50% gains right now but that’s always changing all night so we will wait and see what happens there.

These images are my progress from Actively managing my position

And this image is the paper trade I took after writing the original dd. Currently a 5 bagger! In only 2.5 weeks averaging a return of 200% per week! Crazy never thought this play would explode this hard.

And for myself it seems that actively managing my position has produced much larger gains for myself then just buying and holding which is a confidence builder for myself and my ability to manage a trade.

Going forward I will be testing ways to expand this hedging idea into further trades. Things I’m looking for are strong economical fundamentals for the trade. A 1-2 month time frame. Good chart pattern and appealing options chain. An idea I was thinking of for example if I think high growth stocks are going to breakout soon because of an economic policy shift I may take 3 high growth stocks with good charts and hedge with an arkk put so if I’m wrong my losses are lower, at the cost of loosing some gains. The idea is that these trades will have a higher average profit then loss so I only need to be right 50% of the time to become a profitable trader. Also being hedged will allow me to quote on quote diamond hand and not sell positions to early. I’m going to save the early profit taking for scalps and day trades.

Wednesday morning. Is the fun over? Me thinks not here’s why. I believe the commodity rally to be 2 pronged one part supply concerns from Russia and Ukraine but also inflation, during times of high inflation people pull money from stocks to commodities check around the market where is the money going. Bank accounts? Those are getting eaten by inflation. Stocks? check the s&p bonds? Getting a little rally from save haven demand but not nearly the rally commodity’s have.

It’s important during these pull backs to figure out is this a pull back or a trend reversal so think about has anything really changed the last couple days. War with Ukraine? Ukraine did announce giving up on joining nato but does that mean Russia isn’t still invading sadly no I wish they weren’t but they are. What about inflation has any major economic policy came out that can instantly lower inflation? Not that I’ve seen and I think cpi on Thursday is going to be a harsh reminder of the state of the economy. Maybe I’ll look back and laugh at this Thursday evening but only time will tell.

Looking at the chart I like to think of each of these volume spikes on the right as consolidation zones and price comes up or Dow into one of these zones depending on the news and the zones between as support and resistance zones. That green candle is new as I type this out but i want to note the double bottom wick on the hour chart people are already “buying the dip” will this last maybe it will maybe it won’t but since my trades are based on macro economic policy and set up to give me some time I am not sweating some red coming in today. Also my t bond puts are offsetting some of my gold losses to so that’s a positive as well. Another relief is even if I get blown out on these gold calls my t bond puts will be so green and all the profits I’ve secured on the ride up I’ll still come out ahead from when I started but I still don’t see this as a trend reversal from what I stated earlier.

1 Like

Wednesday night Thursday morning update.
Last night we saw a massive rally in spy and also a big sell off I gold oh the agony. On one hand my move on Tuesday was good take profits and wait for a dip but the dip I bought was not the dip something I’m still working on, I hate when I know things will rip and they do when I don’t have a position leads to me scared to not have a position leads me to buying the dip to soon.

As for losses my gains from Tuesday are now gone but luckily I still have further out strikes and still think cpi will turn the position back into my favor.

A lesson learned from yesterday is that commodity’s are inversing spy right now something I should have done is used s&p future calls to hedge my position that would’ve probably tracked gold losses 1 for 1 and I would be able to average down after Wednesday.

Overall a though day but still up from my starting point, still have time on my position, and still think my thesis stands and am waiting for cpi report coming up to figure out my next play.

Also I did roll my t bond puts down 0.5 dollar strike to average down on gold a little big.

Also considering my position sizing might have been to much to soon I think I should’ve secured more money into savings/index funds I feel like I used to large of my gains to buy the dip as it were.

1 Like

If you see commodities inversing SPY wouldnt you buy SPY calls to hedge your GLD position?

Yeah that was a mistake thanks for pointing that out

Thursday early morning update.
Well Thursday did not go my way I was hoping for a boost form cpi numbers but it didn’t come.

I’m a bit frustrated at my self not because I bought when I did but because of the position size I used when I did. I used 100% of Tuesday’s gains to buy “the dip” I had played it so well up until now I was taking profits and securing them on the way up like a boss but right at the top I got a greedy and used to much capital to continue the gains. Buying when I did was not a bad play it had a double bottom of a strong support and the economy supported my thesis at the time. I just should’ve split profits between my entry and securing the gains.

Asian session had been a slow down trend all day I’ll see what happens during the Europe session but I have a tough call trying to figure out what to do as I look at my smashed futures position. My April calls I think are safe but I’m not sure what to do about my futures expiring next week with -80% loss. I wish my loss was only 25-50% of Tuesday’s gains not the whole pie but something to remember as I move forward.

Europe opens in an hour and a half maybe some hopium there as I know they have a similar inflation situation :pepepray:

2 Likes

Pulled out of gold futures just in time to see them knife like crazy I’ll see what the news says at the end of the day but I must have missed something. All and all still green on the trade but gave back a lot of hard earned profits still a bit disappointed in myself for using so much of my gains but you live and learn and at the end of the day I made and secured profits. Right now I’m keeping and adding to my bond put position as I think again bonds are screwed either way. people will start betting on hawkish or dovish rate hikes with hawkish rate hikes bonds come down and with dovish rate hikes spy pushes up and bonds generally inverse spy. So I’m comfortable holding up until fomc.

As for my gold calls I’m not sure they are April expiration on one hand but on the other I kinda feel like freeing up capital to play some other stuff. Think I’ll wait for a bit to decide as gold can move up just as quick as it came down.

1 Like

Watching it seems gold continues its free fall seems like I was wrong on the transitory pull back bleeding my April call position really hard and gave back some hard earned gains still profitable but still hurts. Luckily my bond puts I’ve been slowly acquiring through this adventure are now paying off handsomely.

As for what went wrong it could be 1.) oil prices falling after countries saying they would increase production. I thought this wouldn’t matter as this production would still be at least a year out. 2.) European market raised interest rates could’ve started a sell off and maybe bets that the us would follow. 3.) Ukraine talks with Russia I believed these to be irrelevant as Russia doesn’t want peace they want Ukraine.

Overall I really thought gold would push up but at the end of the day it’s not what I think it’s what the market thinks and they don’t give a shit about my opinion. Still holding April calls as they are already smashed and my t bond puts will go up as long as gold goes down.

Looking back it’s painful how much I gave back by over leveraging I gave back 3k of 6k gains.

2 Likes