HLGN - 60% Day 1 Jump but VC Dump Reportedly Imminent

Athena Technology Acquisition (NYSE:ATHN) merged with Heliogen last week, and started trading under the new ticker $HLGN on Friday, Dec 31.

Most likely fueled by 90%+ redemptions, the stock price surged from $10 to $16.35 before settling at $15.52 as shorts scurried to cover on the tiny 2.3M float.

While high fives are being handed out all around, this contrarian Twitter thread from Platypus, who says smart things in the SPAC space, stood out. It claims that a dump is imminent.
https://twitter.com/EggPlatypus/status/1477808882374356992?t=PCdh2Z2d-8R9XG0Lrz3W4A&s=19

Relaying the most important points here, with some notes:

• 45.8M additional shares were unlocked on Friday. That’s 20x the post-redemption float.
  • A June '21 (yes 7 months ago) funding round valued them at 750M. Current valuation is ~2.8B. 1/3 of these shares are reportedly unlocked.
  • Prior round in Dec 2020 valued HLGN at 80M. All these shares are reportedly unlocked.
  • They have $42M in cash on hand, and raised another $188M through the SPAC. They project FCF of (242M) by EOY 2023. FCF is (183) in 2024. This cash therefore does not make them self-sufficient; they will need to return to the market.

Here are their presented financials (also from the Tweet above).

In a rational world, this enterprise should be worth an order of magnitude less. In the world we live in, however, given their parabolic revenue projections, guaranteed loss for multiple years, and only an experimental product, some probably see the as the next trillion dollar company.

On balance then, what with all the dilution from unlocking of shares that were acquired at a much, much lower valuation, I can see how the Tweeter generously meets in the middle and calls a $5 PT. It’ll probably go much lower, if what is reported is true.

4 Likes

what are your thoughts as far as identifying a good entry point? maybe given how far it has to fall, at least wait for the actual first real knife (like an hour candle, not a 1 min candle) first?

The Jan 21 10p closed at 0.85. Could really multiply upon the share dump and a $5 PT. Neat find.

Biggest Options Trades are largely bullish. Looks like no strange whale activity expecting a dump but maybe on Monday.

2 Likes

Im just curious if other brokers have the chain showing all the way to 10 or is it just TD that isnt allowing those strikes yet. I guess my question would be how are those options getting purchased if they are not available?

I think we’ll have to wait a little bit to both let the short covering wrap up, but also, to see if the VCs actually dump as anticipated.

They are sophisticated investors, and may throttle their liquidation to prevent a total collapse in price. This is more to put this on our radar.

3 Likes

Yahoo shows volume on everything, but only a bit on the OTM calls. Not sure what’s going on with your screenshot from TD…

Volume on various strikes on UW

1 Like

Hmmm, ill just wait until tomorrow to see if it updates, at the moment TD is showing no volume on any strikes and jan only goes from 17.5 - 30

Its just interesting that there are contracts being purchased that arent listed on exchange yet.

2 Likes

This is a very good find. I guess the issue here would be timing where to buy the puts.

1 Like

Definitely when the IV comes down

2 Likes

Hmmm if 45M shares are now unlocked, I don’t see why they wouldn’t unleash them right at open on Monday especially with the stock price at a whopping $16.50 in afterhours.

1 Like

Oh hey there’s also a Reddit post for this play. Is that you?: Reddit - Dive into anything

Negative - that’s not me. Looks like we both picked up Platypus’ tweetstream soon after it came out:
https://twitter.com/EggPlatypus/status/1477808882374356992?t=PCdh2Z2d-8R9XG0Lrz3W4A&s=19

1 Like

wedge forming right now on HLGN?

2 Likes

this is playing out beautifully damn

Solid dump at open

1 Like

Sold my 10p at 2.00. Thank you for the swing :slight_smile:

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/EggPlatypus/status/1478426546918547469

1 Like

Hopped back in @ 7.5p – iv seems to have settled. Expecting another opening dump tmr.

3 Likes

At one point, HLGN was down almost 30% today, closed down 24%. Pinned to the $10 level, which is interesting given that was the NAV floor pre-deSpac.

Makes one wonder if some kind of backstop agreement is kicking in, though skimming SEC docs didn’t suggest any. Could also be a residual buy-wall that carried over, although surely someone would not be that asleep at the wheels, missing the merger and forgetting to update buy orders that assume the NAV floor, would they? :thinking:

Volume was 2.6M for the day. If anything close to the 45.8M shares were actually unlocked, this should keep falling for a while yet.

2 Likes

What IV were you able to get? It was hovering above 200% when I last checked and my orders did not fill.