Puts on the Yen - Not Too Late as Bank of Japan Attempts the Impossible Trinity

Thanks to Juan again for posting last night the GDP numbers out of Japan. While Q1 showed a contraction, it was less than forecast and the Nikkei responded with a bullish day. Even though there are a lot of factors for pulling the Yen down, negative growth, higher production costs, low consumer demand, it hasn’t provided the downward momentum on the Yen…yet.

GS seems to think the USD is 18% overvalued and could depreciate during a recession:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-16/goldman-says-a-recession-would-cast-doubt-on-a-strong-dollar

Having to forecast two sides to this trade, what could depreciate the Yen and what could appreciate the USD, I believe next month is where the fun begins. When the Fed begins to reduce their balance sheet they will be entering historic uncharted territory. To think that it could result in anything other than less liquidity in the market is a tough argument to make. So my simple thesis is that it’s going to raise rates. A lot more than is expected.

That being said, this may not be enough. If the markets are in heavy bear territory or US economic data comes out that shows slowdown in growth, investors won’t be flocking to the USD and it won’t cause upward pressure. In this situation the difference in interest rates may not be enough. There would have to be higher yields in JGBs to cause the BoJ to starting buying and weaken the Yen.

2 Likes

So this is from IBKR article on USD/JPY TA but my computer won’t let me screenshot it for some reason.

1. 05/12 low of 127.52 was key support and broke below that in a nasty way at market open.

2. 04/27 low of 126.95 was a key trend support and touched that as well.

3. Need to see a resumption of gains and a break of 05/09 high of 131.35. This would open a Fibonacci projection of 131.96.

Might just have seen peak USD but here’s hoping for just a bit more upside. That being said, waiting for a big appreciation of the Yen (or the other side of the trade) would be dangerous as the BoJ is continuing to print money. I think there’s much more upside reward with The_Ni’s GBP/USD trade. Japan CPI data out tonight!

My apologies for not updating this thread as there was some trend reversals a couple of days ago. Life’s been busy and going on a much needed vacation soon. Hope everyone’s been doing well, especially Conq! :heart:

1. The 10-Yr Treasury Yields bottomed out on 05/25 which was a further trend of inverse movements in the equities and bond market. The USD to Yen found strong support at the 126.95 level and has started an upward trend the last few trading days.

2. Explanations for this upward trend are numerous but there is some data shows a slight recovery in consumer optimism with the gradual opening up of the economy. That being said, the yield on the 10-Yr JGB seems to be rising and may start to result in the BoJ initiating QE and buying 10-Yr JGB’s to keep it at the target 2.5%. Again, this would presumably result in the Yen depreciation.

3. America is stronger than the bond market thought. New economic data suggests that the labour market and economy is still resilient and the Fed has destroyed demand. Bond markets were pricing in rates to stop increasing in the near future but now it seems the Fed has to continue it’s aggressive stance. Moreover, my long await QT balance sheet roll off has come and while most believe this won’t result in increased yields I call bullshit. The Fed is walking into uncharted territory and to say that balance sheet reductions won’t result in yields is an educated guess at best. I’m betting these guys are wrong.

When this will all occur is the million-dollar question but Kuroda is going to continue with QT for at least 2022 as the goal for domestic Japanese inflation of 2% has not been met. I’ve taken shares on YCS as it’s done a 2-1 split last week. Best of luck to everyone!

1 Like

FED’S DALY: I SEE THE BALANCE SHEET TRIMMING DELIVERING ABOUT 25 BPS OR 50 BPS OF TIGHTENING.

FED’S WALLER: BALANCE-SHEET REDUCTION IS COMPARABLE TO 1.5 TO 2.5 25-BPS INTEREST RATE HIKES.

FED’S WALLER: REDUCING THE BALANCE SHEET TO 8% OF GDP IS A GOOD TARGET.

(FYI We’re at about 40-ish percent of GDP)

FED’S BULLARD: QT HAS BEEN PARTIALLY SUCCESSFUL IN PUSHING UP LONG-TERM RATES SO FAR

Everything pointing to QT bringing higher long-term yields.

BOJ’S GOVERNOR KURODA: WE WILL MAINTAIN AGGRESSIVE MONETARY EASING TO AID THE ECONOMY’S RECOVERY FROM THE COVID-INDUCED SLUMP.

Meanwhile, BOJ still keeping up with “aggressive” QE, even with a depreciating Yen.

BOJ’S GOVERNOR KURODA: I DON’T BELIEVE THE RAPID YEN DEPRECIATION WAS CAUSED BY BOJ EASING.

Which they believe isn’t their fault?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-26/kuroda-says-us-rate-hikes-won-t-necessarily-mean-weaker-yen?utm_source=twitter&utm_content=markets&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-markets&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_medium=social

And believe won’t depreciate further?

While Bonds are regaining strength on concerns of Fed’s aggressiveness?

I call cap. Also, glad to see you back :pepecelebrate:

Aah… the smell of spillover effects from changes in Fed fund rate expectations on a global scale…

Yen is in trouble. Captured well by a Jim Bianco who’s been putting out decent material on international markets for a bit.

https://twitter.com/biancoresearch/status/1536213548833046528

https://twitter.com/biancoresearch/status/1536202533013790722

https://twitter.com/biancoresearch/status/1536219206236180480

Weaker currency makes inflation worse. Unlike the US, Japanese economy is kinda stuck, with no growth or strong labor market. If BoJ capitulates, this will become extremely ugly very quickly.

3 Likes

Japanese 10 year yield managed to cross above the .25% rate.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bank-of-japan-makes-biggest-fixed-rate-jgb-purchases-in-four-years-amid-rising-bond-yields-11655109712?mod=e2twcb

1 Like

JAPAN’S FINANCE MINISTER SUZUKI: I AM CONCERNED ABOUT THE RECENT RAPID YEN DEPRECIATION.

Oh OK finally going to take some action?

JAPAN’S FINANCE MINISTER SUZUKI: IF NECESSARY, WE WILL TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION ON FX.

Oh great!

BOJ OFFERS TO PURCHASE 800BLN YEN OF 5-10 YEAR JGBS

BOJ TO DO ADDITIONAL PURCHASE OF 500B YEN IN 5-10YR JGBS TUES.

… never mind

1 Like

From TF:

Indeed they are, @greydoge , indeed they are.

In fact, looks like a dam is about to burst!

What in the actual fudge is the 9Y bond doing at 0.36%. Higher than the 10Y which is also loosing its pin to the 0.25% that the BoJ is defending. Yields of the 7Y and 8Y maturities are also seemingly starting to burst.

(Source)

I don’t know enough about forex to feel too confident about this, but it does seem like the BoJ is about to lose its battle to defend the 0.25% rate. Btw this is a very recent phenomenon - as we can see from the chart, the curve was not distended even one month ago.

This is also good context for the Japanese Finance Minister’s quotes in @juangomez053 's post just above this one.

Anyone know how we could short Japanese bonds without actually shorting the bonds? Some ETF perhaps? Because the force of the USD yield train is about to run this one over.

5 Likes

I’m sure these have already been looked at, but I found this list- https://money.usnews.com/funds/etfs/rankings/japan-stock

EWJ kept popping up in searches as well, but a lot of the sources say it’s designed to mitigate fluctions between USD/JPY. I’m caught up in this BTC nonsense right now so haven’t been looking too hard at new plays, but maybe someone can get something useful from one of these.

Paging through a few myself, they seem to be mostly what you’d expect, inverse or direct exposure to Japanese companies, still looking for something (in America/not delisted) that tracks bonds themselves though

1 Like

In the absence of an actual ETF to play bonds with, one decent alternative seems to be the leveraged long and short currency ETFs - YCL and YCS:

Parking these here so we can decide Friday which one to play with, if any.

1 Like

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/chinas-holdings-us-treasuries-skid-12-year-low-japan-also-cuts-holdings-2022-06-15/

China cut UST holdings to lowest level in 12 yrs & Japan also cutting back

Chinese holdings dropped to $1.003T, down $36.2B from $1.039T (U.S. Treasury)

Japanese holdings fell to $1.218T in April, from $1.232T. Japan remained largest non-U.S. holder

3 Likes

Looks like there might be a shift coming soon:

Futures look to be pricing in a possible shift from Kuroda and BoJ to take care of the volatility in the FX market

With more rate hikes on the horizon, which would mean a strong dollar for the near future, I don’t see how Kuroda/BoJ keep this up:

Seems like two possible outcomes will come, either BoJ decides to start selling their massive UST holdings in order to reign in some strength for the Yen and try to reinvest that into the JGB’s in order to protect the yield curve control, or they raise their range for the JGB’s, which would also bring strength to the Yen. I just don’t see how this is sustainable, them being the only Dovish Central Bank in the world and also the largest non-U.S. UST holder.

They literally own half of all the Japanese Government Bonds outstanding, and their balance sheet assets are almost at 100% GDP, in a macroeconomic environment where every central bank in the world is hawkish.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-16/boj-faces-200-billion-hit-if-it-loses-control-of-the-curve

https://archive.ph/piU1B

I don’t see how investors keep their investments in Japanese bonds with this level of Dovishness. They have to be going abroad in search of higher rates from Hawkish CBs and weakening the yen. I don’t see this continuing for very long if BoJ keeps getting pressured from FX volatility.

1 Like

Interestingly enough, the yield curve does not show the stress it was showing even two weeks ago. Unlimited buying seems to be working, for now.

Btw a couple of considerations for why the Japanese govt will allow this to continue. First, they want inflation as they have been stuck in a deflation-low wage spiral for decades. This WSJ piece explains some of these considerations.

While consumer prices in the U.S. rose 8.5% from a year earlier in March, inflation in Japan is still running lower than the central bank’s 2% target. Japan’s core consumer-price index, which excludes fresh food but includes energy, was up 0.8% from a year earlier in March—the highest in more than two years. Rising energy prices will likely drive it even higher and a tumbling yen could exacerbate that as Japan imports most of its food and energy.

While Japan might finally hit its target, such cost-driven inflation—instead of price increases driven by demand—might not be what the central bank is looking for. Excluding energy and fresh foods, the country is still experiencing deflation. That puts the government in a tough spot, especially with an election coming in a few months: Tightening too early could risk nipping the green shoots of growth, but easing might drive consumer prices higher through an even weaker yen.

More aggressive fiscal policies could help soften the blow for consumers and transfer some money to households, but another key lies in the job market. Japanese wages have been stagnant for nearly three decades and have lagged behind corporate profits. That might be set to change, according to CLSA strategist Nicholas Smith. He says that a shrinking population together with hiring driven by reopening could force companies to compete for workers. The working-age population has been declining in Japan for decades, but more people have joined the workforce—especially women—to fill job vacancies. Around 91% of the working-age population were employed just before the pandemic hit, up from 78% in 2012, according to CLSA.

Second, because this is a supply-driven inflation, and their demand for non-food and non-energy is still weak, they risk leaving an even bigger demand hole when the supply issues are resolved, even if it is a year or two from now. Japan has been stuck here for decades, and it is likely they really don’t want to make this decade long hole deeper.

Third, BoJ is pinning at 0.25%. The Fed is halfway along its warpath to 3.5%+. How much can the BoJ raise? Another 0.25%? 0.5%? Any rise for them will have all other kinds of devastating, far-reaching consequences - all the things we’re doing to cool the economy will freeze theirs.

Finally, if JPY weakens enough, some of their export-oriented industries might become more competitive, or competitive again. (Much to China and Korea’s chagrin).

This almost seems like a freebie Japan got to do a historical reset on their macroeconomic fortunes.

2 Likes

It looks like Kuroda has managed to bring the JGB yield curve completely under control, for now. 10Y yield is 0.197%, comfortably below the 0.25% target.

The pressure a month ago was interesting… Bloomberg reports that hedge funds have covered their shorts on the currency as the trade became crowded.

For our trading purposes, YCL has started to curl upward. Option liquidity is very low though, so would have to play the ticker directly unless one gets very lucky with a fill.

Big picture, inflation has been over 2% for a third month running in Japan. Amusingly, companies have already started providing “inflation allowances.”

1 Like

Updated data from Japan is out on net inflows and outflows on Japanese equities and bonds. (H/T @Labubs for highlighting on TF) There seems to be a decent amount of foreign investment into JPY bonds, so that should support the JPY a bit. Otherwise WoW data is a bit noisy, so just parking here for now and will keep an eye on it for long term trends.

(Source)

(Source)

3 Likes

https://www.reuters.com/markets/currencies/japan-signals-readiness-act-fx-market-if-sharp-yen-volatility-persists-2022-09-16/

1 Like

BoJ is under stress again - this just in:

https://twitter.com/LiveSquawk/status/1574567925255643148

They are going to have to use more and more firepower to keep the 10yr yield under 0.25%. Noteworthy that the 20yr is not under yield control, and it has risen to over 1% already. We can expect the 10yr to snap upward if the BoJ loses control. Or relinquishes control in an orderly manner, which is more likely.

(Source)

YCS is probably the ETF to keep an eye on if the Yen course corrects. (YCL is up 20% since we looked at it 2 months ago btw - never pulled a trigger there =/)

3 Likes

Looks like Japan has drawn the line at 150:

Japan’s government and central bank intervened in the currency market early Saturday to support a falling yen, sources told Nikkei, triggering a dramatic rebound against the dollar.

Japan’s currency surged about 7 yen in an hour during New York trading to touch the 144 yen level.

The yen had reached a fresh 32-year low of nearly 152 against the dollar before Japanese authorities again showed their readiness to push back against sharp movements in the currency.

Finance Ministry Vice Minister Masato Kanda, Japan’s top currency diplomat, told reporters he would not comment on whether an intervention had taken place.

The government and the Bank of Japan last stepped in to support the yen on Sept. 22, when the yen was trading just under 146 to the dollar. That had marked Japan’s first yen-buying intervention in about 24 years.

The yen recovered to the 140 level against the dollar after the September intervention. But the monthslong sell-off in the Japanese currency later resumed as traders remained fixed on the widening interest rate gap between the U.S. and Japan.

The resulting repricing was significant:

Folks are speculating they spent about 20B on this. With their > 1T reserve, they could keep doing this a long while. It doesn’t necessarily mean that the USD/DXY will reverse course. However, if Japan continues supporting the currency, they’ll have to source USD to buy JPY with. They will do this by selling treasury, which will put pressure on the long end. So we might feel effects of his in the bond market even if DXY doesn’t turn around.

4 Likes

I was just reading the same article! Also, the next BoJ monetary policy meeting will be on Oct. 27-28 according to Nikkei but it doesn’t seem to act like a catalyst but the divergence in currency valuations will be the focus

1 Like

From what I can tell this are estimates into the BoJ’s intervention with the Yen. But consensus is that they have more than enough to last through next year as they are cherry picking when their intervention is most impacting the yen/usd rate. PBOC seem to be also picking their spots but it doesn’t seem like a coordinated effort.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-31/japan-spent-42-billion-in-october-to-prop-up-yen-in-markets

More importantly, Kuroda is hinting at an end to low rates, maybe next year, as Japan seems to have reached it’s 2% inflation goal. But how much of this is just imported inflation with the cost of goods increasing and not a more organic inflation caused by an increase in domestic economic activity, growth, and prices?

Should look for DWY to be really challenged in the new year.