RDFN - Something to keep an eye on?

I would love to get some feedback on the curious case of Redfin. It’s had an interesting few days.
I have been screwing around with Etrade’s Power Etrade platform, on which one can sort options by % of OTM options on the offer ( slapping the ask). I noticed on 8/4 that Redfin had an unusual number of options come in on the 8/19 15 strike, which at the time was over 50% OTM. Redfin had earnings after hours on 8/4. Curious, I bought a couple to play along.
Earnings were not great. Missed on EPS and revenue, guidance was lukewarm at best. Analysts adjusted PTs down. It sank hard in after hours, then recouped a bit. I figured it was toast.
Then a curious thing happened. It rose 14% the following day (last Friday). Looking at the SI from Mimir, I figured maybe it was shorts covering.

I took another look on Saturday with updated numbers:

From Thursday to Friday, shorts lost 40 million in P/L, and the DTC, shares short, and shorts average price went down slightly.
Today, RDFN went up 16% again. Now Mimir says:

In three trading days, short P/L has gone from + 32% to (19.5%), short shares have gone down by .007%, the value of those short shares has gone down 16% (covering shorts?). The ConqDTC number has gone from 7.1 to 6.6 days.
I would also submit a couple of Tradytics call outs that have happened in the interim that I was unaware of:

A big call sweep on the 9/16 14s.

A darkpool trade on 8/4 (earnings).
Maybe not all the ingredients are there for a short squeeze. Cost to borrow is low, utilization is low, shorts aren’t getting blown out yet. But it looks like something might be happening. Any thoughts?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.