Remitly: A diamond in the rough?

Remitly - A Hidden Gem

Ticker: RELY

I’ve been meaning to write this DD for a while, and with Remitly’s first quarterly earnings meeting having just concluded and the ensuing price drop I believe right now is one of the best times for entry in this hidden gem. While I don’t believe this is going to explode on some large catalyst, I believe there’s an opportunity here for a movement to the $45-50 levels in the next few months.

Who is Remitly?

Remitly is a recently IPO’d company that handles international remittances. Remittance refers to transfer of money by foreign migrants to their home countries. It consists of several channels such as banks, money transfer operators, mobile network operators, and others. Remittance has increased massively in recent years due to businesses involved with customers & clients working overseas. The opportunity here is huge, there are over 280 million immigrants and the global remittance market exceeds $1.5T annually.

Main competitors include Western Union (WU) as well as MoneyGram (MGI). However 90% of Remitly’s business is driven by digital methods, compared to 20% at these dinosaurs. Remitly’s users absolutely love the product – their app on Google Play has 285,000 reviews with a 4.8/5 rating.

RELY is currently trading close to 40% off it’s IPO highs. The only news that has come out about Remitly since the IPO has been the announcement of a partnership with Facebook on their NOVI wallet to power cash pickup in Guatemala. I consider this type of partnership neutral/bullish but it seems to have been taken negatively by the market given all the negative sentiment around Meta. I still do not believe that this drop is in any way warranted…

Remitly announced their Q3 2021 earnings on November 10 after market close.

• Revenue totaled $121.2 million, compared to $71.8 million, up 69% (giggidy) year over year.
  • Net loss was $13.0 million, compared to $2.4 million net loss. The increase in Remitly’s net loss was primarily due to the $6.9 million non-cash donation of common stock in connection with their Pledge 1% commitment, as well as incremental stock-based compensation expense.
  • Adjusted EBITDA decreased to $0.3 million, compared to $0.6 million.
  • Send volume increased to $5.2 billion, from $3.2 billion, up 61% year over year.
  • Active customers increased to 2.6 million, from 1.7 million, up 51% year over year.
  • Average revenue per active customer increased 12% year over year to $47.34.

Analyst Coverage

Analysts have been generally quite bullish about the stock, with an average price target of $51, representing a 65% upside form the current price of $31

Firm PT Rating
Wolfe Research $42 Outperform
JMP Securities $52 Market Outperform
JP Morgan $57 Overweight
Goldman Sachs $61 Buy
Barclays $48 Overweight
Keybanc $48 Overweight

Disclaimer: Not a financial advisor and this is not investment advice. Do your own research and come to your own conclusions before investing in anything. I’m just some dude who lives in his mom’s basement and has an unhealthy addiction to Taco Bell.

8 Likes

Ticker is RELY in case anyone is wondering

2 Likes

Thanks! Added to the top of the post.

At the very least I highly doubt this will be moving downward, it’s bounced off this strong support several times.

5 Likes

What positions do you have ?

2 Likes

I’m currently holding 1000 April 14 2022 50c

4 Likes

Wow so you’re holding 2/3rds of the current OI for those options, the spread is ridiculous on those what did you get in at?

1 Like

I’ve been in and out a few times (closed out around $200k during the last ride from 32 > 38). I’m currently in at about 2.86. I’m highly confident about this moving back towards 40 in the short term

4 Likes

Can anyone point me to what report would have insider lock-up data? Might help the Bull case to this as it looks like half the float is held and guessing they are locked up for a bit?

1 Like

Thank you for a sexy DD, added to watchlist

2 Likes

Thanks fash. Are there any mobile, digital-first competitors (aka not WU or MGI) we can look at to compare?

@kenbrellthompkins I would say both Xoom and WorldRemit

3 Likes

Ah looks like they’re both non-public, oh well. I think this is really solid though, thanks. What’s your take on the post-earnings drop? Algo trading on the “poor” EPS?

2 Likes

@kenbrellthompkins honestly I’m not completely sure, but the “poor” eps is my theory – even though the EPS wasn’t poor when you take into account the reasoning behind it (the stock based compensation as well as the Pledge 1% donation)

1 Like

Also Wise (formerly transferwise) not long IPO’d

1 Like

Thank you. bought some shares today.

3 Likes

solid DD. With COVID slowly going away, migration and traveling for work will definitely be more popular. Do you see any catalysts or risks that could realistically cause this stock to drop?

2 Likes

This pairs perfectly with the reopening of international travel as well.

Fantastic DD, much appreciated!

6 Likes

Still watching this one. It seems like it has not found it’s bottom so be careful not to enter too soon. Also Fash you have almost all the OI on that call so be careful lol. I may enter once I see if it doesn’t fall below 30 today

5 Likes

Hoping for a good week, I picked up some April 50 c this past Friday in solidarity

2 Likes