Wealth Building: The next 25-35 years

Topic: To pick the brains of those that are more experienced/wealthier. How they amassed their wealth and what they would do differently if they could go back to their early 20’s.

Question:

1. What wealth building streams have you created for yourself to reach financial freedom?
  2. Are there specific stocks you consistently invest in and hold?
  3. Real estate…worth buying a home ASAP? Buy, hold, and flip?

Goal: Retirement by age 50, financially free
Reach Goal: Retirement by age 50, $10MM net worth

Background: My wife and I, 26(m) and 24(f) currently bring home roughly $200k in household income. Still renting and keeping living expenses low. We save around 40% of that household income, after taxes.

Wealth streams:

1. 401k with 6% employer matching (currently contribute 10% of my paychecks)
  2. Individual brokerage accounts (contribute whatever is left of the paycheck after living costs and 401k contribution)
  3. Tech consulting job with path to mid 6-figures (peak earnings by roughly age 40), wife is a teacher (only 2% annual raises)
  4. Get an MBA and increase that earning potential by going to a tier 1 consulting firm? (roughly mid 6 figures to low 7 figures but large grad school debt and reduced work-life-balance)
4 Likes

On #4 there are several online MBA programs that are a fraction of the cost. In most cases, no one cares if you have an MBA from Sloans only that you have an MBA. As an MBA myself I can tell you the network is more valuable than the degree.

2 Likes